Friday 22 April 2011

Frothmire

Another rant against the modern Stalkbook TwitterFeed self obsessed generation... Interesting to note that with the advent of Facebook, 'like' has become an action verb, where before it was a state verb. So these days, A.F., it is legitimate to say, in reply to 'What are you doing?', 'I'm liking something on Facebook'. I also loathe the modern phenomenon that is the overuse of the exclamation (and question) mark. As with the whole facebook thing, it's just very infantile. As F Scott Fitzgerald said when asked for his advice to young writers:

Cut out all those exclamation marks - Overuse of exclamation marks is like laughing at your own joke.

- Right on F Scott. If I had met him I would have addressed him as F Scott.

I like my invented word 'frothmire' - Copyright me.

------------------------------------------------------


status update

i have no desire to connect my self
to the virtual hole, the communal
watering weeping wound, crater of
dusty meaningless frothmire.

no wish have i for you to see me
see if i am on, off, awaiting
statings of obvious, lined-up marks
of exclamation and approbation.

i can like something in the old fashioned way,
statesmanlike instead of desperately active
passive passion not excruciating exhibitionism.

2 comments:

  1. Good words. I'm also FB averse. What does "Frothmire" mean? It shewed up in one of my little girl's cartoon DVDs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, sorry for delay, perhaps part of the FB averse thing is a general slowness /lack of awareness re things online. I actually didn't see your comment til a way after you posted it. I thought 'frothmire' was a word invented by me, but your girl's cartoon proves me wrong - I wonder if you remember what context it was used in. My meaning was froth as in meaningless chatter + mire as in something which sucks one in. FB can sometimes seem replete with meaningless chit-chat. But then again, who am I.

    ReplyDelete