Thursday 2 December 2010

iThis, iThat, iThe other

Much as I try to avoid it, it seems to be difficult for me to avoid a cynical tone... A recurring theme is people thinking they're so big and clever when they're in fact not.

What I'm sort of getting at here is the prevailing modern belief that God doesn't exist. I'm not saying I believe in God yet still I kind of think we're a bit spiritually lost in 'The West'. I am particularly interested in how the spiritual and the physical, or scientific, mesh. Is this what people mean when they refer to the metaphysical?

Despite this professed non-belief, our everyday lexicon is peppered, peppered I say, with God stuff. There are more obvious examples than the following, but the following is one I like:

Who are you to {tell me how to live my life/ say/ judge}

- I think the implication is: You are not God.

Bill Hicks did a routine in which he impersonates some kind of heckler. In a whiny voice he says 'Who are you to say, what makes you the judge, wah wah wah'; His response: 'I'm me, it's true, shut the F up', which is an enjoyable riposte from a man who believed in god but was vehemently anti the prevailing view of what God is, and managed to be articulate and hilarious in explaining this. Hicks referred to a god who loves us unconditionally and who will rain down gifts of forgiveness.

'Evolve ideas' is also Hicks, a phrase he often employed during his eloquentia, his rants about the stuntedness of humanity.

'Break on through' and 'The Other Side' are Jim Morrison. I love Morrison's poetic lyrics, particularly his song The Other Side. I looked at the full lyrics, contemplating making more use of them. I couldn't think of a way this time and I suspect his wordsmithery is best enjoyed along with the music anyway. Still, here's a snippet:

We chased our pleasures here
Dug our treasures there
But can you still recall
The time we cried
Break on through to the other side
Break on through to the other side


The title of the upcoming poem, possibly misplaced, is from The Cure's 'Close to Me'. Here are some of the lyrics:

i never thought this day would end
i never thought tonight could ever be
this close to me

just try to see in the dark
just try to make it work
to feel the fear before you're here
i make the shapes come much too close
i pull my eyes out
hold my breath
and wait until i shake...

but if i had your faith
then i could make it safe and clean
if only i was sure
that my head on the door was a dream

In the insulated first world, we have the luxury of political and moral belief, in quite an abstract way. There is no such thing in The South and because survival and subsistence are more clear and present, the personal and the political are indistinguishable: Human life is cheap or disposable, priorities are different. Things like personal responsibility or paying taxes are abstract and absurd. The world is generally an absurd place and again, of course, the third world seems more absurd to a first worlder. But it's a bit like growing up; safe little notions of what should be get successively trampled by what simply is.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If only I Was Sure


Everything revealed,
double helix unravelled
having vanquished all
as if all were foes,
fear rears still
rears forth as it did to those
who thought the world flat
and the sky imminent.

Too much at fingertips
Not enough at soul
No bottom only bold
strides, giant leaps
no gravity, no tether;
free or adrift we cannot know
until it's too late
Soul forgotten, heretic soul.

Evolve ideas, break on through
the Other Side is waiting
beyond the Wailing Wall
Perhaps a climb-down is in order
from the widget-encrusted throne
the chrome asylum
the Googlegimmick high-chair
the REAL PLAYER.

iThis, iThat, iThe other
When all the iWhile
the games console us
we drift away from the shroud
away from the tallis
and towards the man-eating
blockbustering overlapping
waves of the many many many
kinds of violence.

7 comments:

  1. An unexpected ending successfully bringing us down to earth from the dizzy heights of philosophy.
    I love the "googlegimmicks highchair, the REAL PLAYER" and "the game console..."
    Yet again, food for thought. Thanks, Mali. As fellow citizens of The South, we look through the same window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grassy arse. I definitely like to give the reader a jolt at the end. Now that you mention it, one could connect the near-opening line 'as if all were foes' with the final one. My meaning with 'as if all were foes' is the misplaced, inappropriate, unnecessary, counter-productive competitiveness humans have. competitiveness is quite violent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice poem, Mali. But, where to start? I once asked Guillermo Martinez, the celebrated writer and Ph.D in Maths, to explain his atheism. He told me, among other things, that with every new discovery of science, God was getting smaller and smaller and some day, far away in time, he will just disappear. I am a science guy, well, sort of, and from the day I was born to now, God got a lot smaller to become something shapeless, unexplainable, and impersonal, maybe only necessary for the creation (beyond what Hawking preaches). But as you said, and I think is the key to the whole matter, "we cannot know until it's too late". And I guess that no matter how much you believe, when the day gets darker, the fear rears for all.
    I also liked the first paragraph a lot. I'm very much interested in the foreigner view of my city, and country, though I can't help feeling bad for what we could have been and will never be.
    Happy new year and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leandro
    Much appreciated comments. I will check out Martinez - I am unaware of him. I would imagine that having a man of such high science explain anything, especially spiritual belief or lack thereof, would be interesting. I suppose what I think I'm getting at with my
    'I am particularly interested in how the spiritual and the physical, or scientific, mesh'
    is a hope that people like Doctors/ Professors Martinez and Hawking, as gurus (gods?) of science and very skilled abstract thinkers, might somehow be able to bring us closer to God haha. And I use the phrase in the er... secular sense ;)
    I don't understand the connection between your liking of the first paragraph and my view of Argentina? Do explain...
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mali, if you're interested in what Martinez thinks about it, you can check an interview I had with him. It's split in five parts. here's the link to the first:

    http://www.hablandodelasunto.com.ar/?p=3951

    I don´t remember in which one we talk about atheism and all.

    About your hopes of scientists bringing God closer to us, I find it very difficult. In my experience, all the scientists I have talked to about it proclaimed themselves atheists. Maybe the most queer case was Einstein, who was a grand believer. You surely remember his phrase "God doesn't play dice".
    Personally, I don't believed in atheism as much as I don't believe in fanatism, and all religions have a lot of fanatism. But reason have a visible limit and beyond that, everyone can create the world that best fits into his mind.

    About the first paragraph, I paste it below:

    "In the insulated first world, we have the luxury of political and moral belief, in quite an abstract way. There is no such thing in The South and because survival and subsistence are more clear and present, the personal and the political are indistinguishable: Human life is cheap or disposable, priorities are different. Things like personal responsibility or paying taxes are abstract and absurd. The world is generally an absurd place and again, of course, the third world seems more absurd to a first worlder. But it's a bit like growing up; safe little notions of what should be get successively trampled by what simply is."

    I thought you were talking about your experience here in B.A. or in the other parts of Latin America where you lived. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm, I really should check the comments more often, I didn't see this until recently, sorry...
    You are mostly right, yes - I've lived in Mexico and Bolivia, Bolivia is the thirdest world. India's... Insane - Was only there as a tourist but...
    Thanks for the Martinez link, I will check it out. I recently discovered a guy called Slavoj Žižek, a Slovenian philosopher. A friend I stayed with in Prague was watching Al Jazeera online, about the Egypt thing, and they had Žižek on as a commentator - I highly recommend checking him out on You Tube. I'm sure he has an opinion on everything; I haven't yet come across his thoughts on God and whatnot (Godnot) but I would be very surprised if his copious rants haven't dealt with it.
    I didn't know the Einstein quote though I have heard Einstein placed in the so-called 'Jewish Trinity' - Can you guess the other two?
    I agree with your sentiments re atheism and fanaticism. I guess if people ask me, I tell them I'm agnostic as opposed to atheist. Far be it from me, and all that. Plus I suspect the eastern outlook, that this life is one of many, may somehow be true. Maybe I just hope it is. What't the difference? Er, OK, time to wrap it up. Thanks as always for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mali, I took my holidays these two past weeks and I disconnected myself from almost everything. If you're interested in Martinez interview I've got the mp3 I recorded and I could send it to you by e-mail.I'll check out the Slovenian philosopher. I also think I could consider myself agnostic, at least I guess it's a humbler position and it's neither irrational.

    About the "Jewish Trinity": never heard of it. But I think that the others could be among Max Born, Albert Michelson,Richard P. Feynman,Robert Oppenheimer,Steven Weinberg,Werner Heisenberg and now I can´t come up with someone else.
    I'll see if I can find something about it. Regards.

    ReplyDelete